Sunday, October 9, 2016

Meditation as Reverse Psychology

Actively not doing something is a great way to be productive.

I've been meditating nearly every day for about the past 31 years.  The length, method, purpose and results have varied greatly during that timespan, but one thing has remained constant, I always learn something new.

Like most people who meditate, I still get "monkey mind" from time to time.  It's a completely normal part of the experience and helps one learn to cope with all sorts of distractions in life.  However, what I've noticed the past week or so, is that when I have a task ahead of me that I'm not feeling particularly excited about (IRS paperwork - ugh!), my monkey mind goes into high gear.  

However, the more I force myself to sit still and clear my mind, the more internal energy builds around that topic.  I still do my best to respect my meditation time goal (even if it's only 5 minutes), but ultimately, I come out of the session full of determination, ready to go and with renewed focus on that task.  

It struck me as ironic that although meditation certainly has other benefits, the idea of it being reverse psychology, i.e. "All of those things you really don't want to do...well, you're not allowed to do them right now," was a new one for me.  Simply avoiding doing a task, wouldn't motivate me and it would remain undone until...well...pigs fly?  The cows come home?  But consciously focusing on the fact that I'm not going to do the thing (or anything but sit and be) right now really gets me going.  Aren't we humans funny creatures?

Think about something you've been putting off.  Now, take 5 minutes, close your eyes, be still and try to clear your mind.  Even if you can't tackle the entire task right away, did you come out of those 5 minutes with a renewed sense of purpose about it?  A shift in priorities?  Let me know!


Be kind to yourself,
Aymii

For more information and inspiration, join our mailing list at ensomastudios.com.  I promise...no spam!

No comments:

Post a Comment